Wildfire // It Was Brilliant But I Did Have One Complaint

25 August 2017

Wildfire
Published: 25th July 2017
Source: Bought
Genre: Urban Fantasy, Romance
My Rating:
Just when Nevada Baylor has finally come to accept the depths of her magical powers, she also realizes she’s fallen in love. Connor “Mad” Rogan is in many ways her equal when it comes to magic, but she’s completely out of her elements when it comes to her feelings for him. To make matters more complicated, an old flame comes back into Rogan’s life…

Rogan knows there’s nothing between him and his ex-fiance, Rynda Sherwood. But as Nevada begins to learn more about her past, her power, and her potential future, he knows she will be faced with choices she never dreamed of and the promise of a life spent without him.

As Nevada and Rogan race to discover the whereabouts of Rynda’s kidnapped husband and are forced to confront Nevada’s grandmother, who may or may not have evil motives, these two people must decide if they can trust in each other or allow everything to go up in smoke.
It isn’t a secret that I’ve loved The Hidden Legacy Ilona Andrews series so far so you know I preordered Wildfire as soon as it became available. I finished Wildfire a little while ago and completely loved it. I had obviously been looking forward to reading it ever since I finished White Hot and I’m pleased to say that it met expectations (mostly). Totally amazing. Absolutely the perfect third book. I adored every page and even the moments I thought would annoy me I loved. My only complaint? That ending! There was nowhere near enough resolution. I hope it was left open ended and they’re waiting to see how the book performs before doing more but I just don’t know. I will have to eagerly await news instead.

There will be spoilers, I’m sure, but I need to talk about this book. Wildfire begins right where White Hot left off… with Nevada discovering the grandmother she has heard nothing but bad things about (she’s a total psycho) has discovered her and her family and knows where they live. She needs to leave her vacation immediately and go protect them… and figure out their next move.

I did love this book for lots of reasons and this is going to be a spoiler filled review for the series as a whole so don’t read ahead if you don’t like that. Just know it’s awesome and you need to read these books!

Okay, so we have nice established relationship Connor and Nevada in this and it’s always concerning that the series will get stale when a central point has been the romance but that just didn’t happen with this. There are tensions around their relationship as they establish where they stand with one another and debate their future. They end up having outside forces made them both uncomfortable and jealous which leads them to question what they want. I began to get a little frustrated at the jealousy aspect as Nevada has taken on a case from Connor’s ex (who has to then move in to Connor’s and be protected obviously) so Nevada gets jealous of Connor and then Connor gets jealous as Nevada has started the process of establishing a house and he thinks she leave him because she cares about something stupid like bloodlines (does he not know Nevada at all?). I think Andrews handled the jealousy storylines well, though. It was the kind of conversation any couple has, where are we going and how do we stand? I loved how both approached it mostly maturely and only ended up strengthening their relationship as they both knew the other would take no shit but give them the freedom to do as they pleased.

I loved seeing Nevada coming into her own power in this book as well. She had never had a chance to explore her abilities before as she was constantly hiding them so with the process to establish House Baylor meaning everyone finding out about her powers Nevada finally got to try new things and test her limits. I would have liked to have learnt more about her abilities and how they worked but I’m still hoping this series will continue. There appears to be an aspect of instinctively knowing how powers work and whilst it was interesting getting to see her interact with others who shared her ability and learning how they worked it would have been cool.

I did get strong Baylor family feels in this one, though. The second book established her sisters and cousins with solid personalities finally but this book is the book where they all got to shine, especially as we learnt more about what both of her sisters abilities were. We’d heard mention of them and seen them in play a small amount but this time you got to learn that in fact all the Baylor’s are badass and terrifying and you would not want to cross any of them ever.

My biggest complaint about this series is simply the fact this final book did not answer anywhere near enough of my questions. There is still a storyline which has been left hanging and whilst there is a whole heap of resolution to be had the big mystery that has extended over all three books never gets answered. This leaves me hopeful that we’ll see more of the Baylor’s in books to come but it was frustrating as hell when finishing this book.

It’s a fantastic book and a good end to enjoyable trilogy but if you’re easily annoyed by unresolved storylines maybe hold off reading until we find out if there will be more. I mean, by them to make sure the publisher knows this is a successful series… but just don’t read them until more books are announced.

Have you read any series where it finishes but leaves things unresolved for you?
Post Signature
© A Fool's Ingenuity. Design by FCD.