Looking Forward // June

02 June 2016

Looking Forward_zps3hettxt8.png
Looking Forward is a regular feature on the blog where I let you know which books I’m looking forward to in the month. I won’t buy all the books featured (especially with my current 5 to 1 buying ban) but they are all books I’m looking forward to being released and want to know if you’re excited about them too. Also, all dates are the released I can find (unless they’re not available) for the UK, because that’s where I live and I like to try and keep to when I can get the books.
28817799
Summer Days, Summer Nights – Stephanie Perkins
Genre: Anthology, Young Adult, Romance
Release Date: 2nd June 2016 (UK, I know it’s already out in the US)
21525988
The Museum Of Heartbreak – Meg Leder
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Release Date: 7th June 2016
(Yes, I know this isn’t the UK cover, but this one is way prettier)
Summer Days and Summer Nights is a beautiful collection of twelve gorgeously romantic short stories, by some of the most talented and exciting YA authors writing today. Collected together by Stephanie Perkins, the editor behind My True Love Gave to Me, this wonderful collection of summer romances will delight all fans of YA.
Summer Days and Summer Nights includes stories by:
Leigh Bardugo
Nina LaCour
Libba Bray
Francesca Lia Block
Stephanie Perkins
Tim Federle
Veronica Roth
Jon Skovran
Brandy Colbert
Cassandra Clare
Jennifer E Smith
Lev Grossman
In this ode to all the things we gain and lose and gain again, seventeen-year-old Penelope Marx curates her own mini-museum to deal with all the heartbreaks of love, friendship, and growing up.

Welcome to the Museum of Heartbreak.

Well, actually, to Penelope Marx’s personal museum. The one she creates after coming face to face with the devastating, lonely-making butt-kicking phenomenon known as heartbreak.
Heartbreak comes in all forms: There’s Keats, the charmingly handsome new guy who couldn’t be more perfect for her. There’s possibly the worst person in the world, Cherisse, whose mission in life is to make Penelope miserable. There’s Penelope’s increasingly distant best friend Audrey. And then there’s Penelope’s other best friend, the equal-parts-infuriating-and-yet-somehow-amazing Eph, who has been all kinds of confusing lately.

But sometimes the biggest heartbreak of all is learning to let go of that wondrous time before you ever knew things could be broken.

Why Am I Excited?

I really enjoyed Perkins’ last short story collection, My True Love Gave To Me, so when I learnt there was to be a collection of stories set during Summer, I couldn’t wait. I love Summer book as I don’t often go away during the Summer months and we get such terrible weather here in the UK,at times, that it’s always good to read a good story.

Why Am I Excited?

I think I’m being shallow with this one and I’m most excited about the cover. The premise sounds good as well.
25721507
The Way To Game The Walk Of Shame – Jenn P Nguyen
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Release Date: 7th June 2016
23716100
Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies – Lindsay Ribar
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Release Date: 7th June 2016
Taylor Simmons is screwed.

Things were hard enough when her single-minded dedication to her studies earned her the reputation of being an Ice Queen, but after getting drunk at a party and waking up next to bad boy surfer Evan McKinley, the entire school seems intent on tearing Taylor down with mockery and gossip.

Desperate to salvage her reputation, Taylor persuades Evan to pretend they’re in a serious romantic relationship. After all, it’s better to be the girl who tames the wild surfer than just another notch on his surfboard.
Twin Peaks meets Stars Hollow in this paranormal suspense novel about a boy who can reach inside people and steal their innermost things—fears, memories, scars, even love—and his family’s secret ritual that for centuries has kept the cliff above their small town from collapsing.

Aspen Quick has never really worried about how he’s affecting people when he steals from them. But this summer he’ll discover just how strong the Quick family magic is—and how far they’ll go to keep their secrets safe.

With a smart, arrogant protagonist, a sinister family tradition, and an ending you won’t see coming, this is a fast-paced, twisty story about power, addiction, and deciding what kind of person you want to be, in a family that has the ability to control everything you are

Why Am I Excited?

I love the fake relationship trope beyond words. It’s my favourite, despite the clichés which inevitably follow on from it. I want to read this. It’s sound like a fun cheesy read that I will love.

Why Am I Excited?

I read about this book on The Novel Hermit and I have wanted to read if ever since. I mean, a cross between Twin Peaks and Stars Hollow is a place I want to read about.
29222548
All The Feels – Danika Stone
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Release Date: 7th June 2016
28370330
Tumbling – Caela Carter
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary
Release Date: 7th June 2016
College freshman Liv is more than just a fangirl: The Starveil movies are her life… So, when her favorite character, Captain Matt Spartan, is killed off at the end of the last movie, Liv Just. Can’t. Deal.

Tired of sitting in her room sobbing, Liv decides to launch an online campaign to bring her beloved hero back to life. With the help of her best friend, Xander, actor and steampunk cosplayer extraordinaire, she creates #SpartanSurvived, a campaign to ignite the fandom. But as her online life succeeds beyond her wildest dreams, Liv is forced to balance that with the pressures of school, her mother’s disapproval, and her (mostly nonexistent and entirely traumatic) romantic life. A trip to DragonCon with Xander might be exactly what she needs to figure out what she really wants.
Work harder than anyone.
Be the most talented.
Sacrifice everything.
And if you’re lucky, maybe you will go to the Olympics.


Grace lives and breathes gymnastics—but no matter how hard she pushes herself, she can never be perfect enough.

Leigh, Grace’s best friend, has it all: a gymnastics career, a normal high-school life... and a secret that could ruin everything.

Camille wants to please her mom, wants to please her boyfriend, and most of all, wants to walk away.

Wilhemina was denied her Olympic dream four years ago, and she won’t let anything stop her again. No matter what.

Monica is terrified. Nobody believes in her—and why should they?

By the end of the two days of the U.S. Olympic Gymnastics Trials, some of these girls will be stars. Some will be going home with nothing. And all will have their lives changed forever.

Why Am I Excited?

This one I am literally only excited because of the whole comic-con type theme. I can’t help but love it and want to read it.

Why Am I Excited?

I wanted to be a gymnast when I was younger. I thought I would be amazing at it, but turns out I don’t have the willpower to persevere at these things, though. Instead, I will have to make do with books, films and TV shows about gymnastics instead. I think I always feel a bit upset I’m not more athletically inclined. The gymnastics at the Olympics will have to suffice (have you seen the muscles on some of those men?).

Anyway, this book is feeding my lost hope I would be a gymnast.
27064376
How It Fells To Fly – Kathryn Holmes
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary
Release Date: 14th June 2016
22816079
False Hearts – Laura Lam
Genre: Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Young Adult
Release Date: 16th June 2016
A struggle with body dysmorphia forces one girl to decide if letting go of her insecurity also means turning her back on her dreams.

Sam has always known she’d be a professional dancer—but that was before her body betrayed her, developing unmanageable curves in all the wrong places. Lately, the girl staring back at Sam in the mirror is unrecognizable. Dieting doesn’t work, ignoring the whispers is pointless, and her overbearing mother just makes it worse.

Following a series of crippling anxiety attacks, Sam is sent to a treatment camp for teens struggling with mental and emotional obstacles. Forced to open up to complete strangers, Sam must get through the program if she wants to attend a crucial ballet intensive later in the summer. It seems hopeless until she starts confiding in a camp counselor who sparks a confidence she was sure she’d never feel again. But when she’s faced with disappointing setbacks, will Sam succumb to the insecurity that imprisons her?

This compelling story from Kathryn Holmes examines one girl’s efforts to overcome her worst enemy: herself.
Orphan Black meets Inception: Two formerly conjoined sisters are ensnared in a murderous plot involving psychoactive drugs, shared dreaming, organized crime, and a sinister cult.

Raised in the closed cult of Mana’s Hearth and denied access to modern technology, conjoined sisters Taema and Tila dream of a life beyond the walls of the compound. When the heart they share begins to fail, the twins escape to San Francisco, where they are surgically separated and given new artificial hearts. From then on they pursue lives beyond anything they could have previously imagined.

Ten years later, Tila returns one night to the twins’ home in the city, terrified and covered in blood, just before the police arrive and arrest her for murder—the first homicide by a civilian in decades. Tila is suspected of involvement with the Ratel, a powerful crime syndicate that deals in the flow of Zeal, a drug that allows violent minds to enact their darkest desires in a terrifying dreamscape. Taema is given a proposition: go undercover as her sister and perhaps save her twin’s life. But during her investigation Taema discovers disturbing links between the twins’ past and their present. Once unable to keep anything from each other, the sisters now discover the true cost of secrets.

Why Am I Excited?

This sounds like a really interesting read. A combination of a girl wanting to be a dancer, and also a girl struggling with buddy dysmorphia sounds like a good read. I mean, there is so much pressure on girls and their weight in society anyway, but in the dance world? This is definitely going to be an eye-opening read.

Why Am I Excited?

This book sounds a little bit insane and a lot awesome. I mean, have you read that bookish premise? Conjoined twins, murder, a cult? What more could you want in a book?
And there you have it, what books are excited for in June and beyond? I feel like a need more than contemporary YA on my lists so give me your most unusual recommendations.
Post Signature
© A Fool's Ingenuity. Design by FCD.