Looking Forward // May

09 May 2016

Looking Forward_zps3hettxt8.png
Looking Forward is a regular feature on the blog where I let you know which books I’m looking forward to in the month. I won’t buy all the books featured (especially with my current 5 to 1 buying ban) but they are all books I’m looking forward to being released and want to know if you’re excited about them too. Also, all dates are the released I can find (unless they’re not available) for the UK because that’s where I live and I like to try and keep to when I can get the books.

I want to apologise for the lateness of this post, I normally like to get this posted at the beginning of the month but my poor blog got neglected when I was feeling a bit rundown last week. That just means some of these books are now available to buy, which is not a bad thing (apart for my bank balance).
28477453
A Court of Mist and Fury – Sarah J Maas
Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult, Romance
Release Date: 3rd May 2016
25898555
Tone Deaf – Olivia Rivers
Genre: Contemporary, Young Adult, Romance
Release Date: 3rd May 2016
The stunning sequel to Sarah J. Maas' New York Times bestselling A Court of Thorns and Roses.
Feyre survived Amarantha's clutches to return to the Spring Court--but at a steep cost. Though she now has the powers of the High Fae, her heart remains human, and it can't forget the terrible deeds she performed to save Tamlin's people.

Nor has Feyre forgotten her bargain with Rhysand, High Lord of the feared Night Court. As Feyre navigates its dark web of politics, passion, and dazzling power, a greater evil looms--and she might be key to stopping it. But only if she can harness her harrowing gifts, heal her fractured soul, and decide how she wishes to shape her future--and the future of a world cleaved in two.

With more than a million copies sold of her beloved Throne of Glass series, Sarah J. Maas's masterful storytelling brings this second book in her seductive and action-packed series to new heights.

With more than a million copies sold of her beloved Throne of Glass series, Sarah J. Maas's masterful storytelling brings this second book in her seductive and action-packed series to new heights.
His world is music. Her world is silent.


Ali Collins was a child prodigy destined to become one of the greatest musicians of the twenty-first century—until she was diagnosed with a life-changing brain tumour. Now, at seventeen, Ali lives in a soundless world where she gets by with American Sign Language and lip-reading. She’s a constant disappointment to her father, a retired cop fighting his own demons, and the bruises are getting harder to hide.

When Ali accidentally wins a backstage tour with the chart-topping band Tone Deaf, she’s swept back into the world of music. Jace Beckett, the nineteen-year-old lead singer of the band, has a reputation. He’s a jerk and a player, and Ali wants nothing to do with him. But there’s more to Jace than the tabloids let on. When Jace notices Ali’s bruises and offers to help her escape to New York, Ali can’t turn down the chance at freedom and a fresh start. Soon she’s travelling cross-country, hidden away in Jace’s RV as the band finishes their nationwide tour. With the help of Jace, Ali sets out to reboot her life and rediscover the music she once loved.

Why Am I Excited?

I am so excited for this book. It has been a while since I read A Court of Thorns and Roses and I most definitely see a reread of that book in my future in preparation for me reading this one.

I found myself abandoning Maas’s Throne of Glass series as I saw the story progressing and just couldn’t find a way to get myself to read it when I wasn’t sure I’d like the storylines, instead I will wait for the series to finish and binge read. This series may have me jumping from ship to ship, but I think I enjoyed it more…we’ll see how the next book goes.

Why Am I Excited?

I admit that I only discovered this book as I was writing this post, but I am so excited for this book now I’ve heard of it.

It sounds like one of those intense, absorbing books which you find you can’t put down. I don’t know what about it makes me most excited, I’m pretty sure it’s a combination of all the parts together in one book. Regardless, I must own a copy and soon.

29614615
The Unexpected Everything – Morgan Matson
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Release Date: 5th May 2016 (UK)
26116496
The Last Time We Were Us – Leah Konen
Genre: Contemporary, Young Adult, Romance
Release Date: 10th May 2016
Andie has a plan and she always sticks to the plan.

Future? A top-tier medical school.

Dad? Avoid as much as possible (which isn't that hard considering he's a Congressman and never around).

Friends? Palmer, Bri, and Toby - pretty much the most awesome people on the planet, who needs anyone else?

Relationships? No one's worth more than three weeks.

So it's no surprise she's got her summer all planned out too.

Until a political scandal cancels her summer pre-med internship and lands both her and Dad back in the same house for the first time in years. Suddenly she's doing things that aren't Andie at all - working as a dog walker, doing an epic scavenger hunt with her dad and maybe, just maybe, letting the super cute Clark in closer than expected. Palmer, Bri and Toby tell her to embrace all the chaos, but here's the thing ... can she?
A passionate summer love story about a girl, her childhood best friend recently released from juvie, and the small-town lies that have kept them apart. A teen romance debut with a dark edge.


Liz Grant is about to have the summer of her life. She and her friend MacKenzie are getting invited to all the best parties, and with any luck, Innis Taylor, the most gorgeous guy in Bonneville, will be her boyfriend before the Fourth of July.

Local teen convict released early.


Jason Sullivan wasn’t supposed to come back from juvie. A million years ago, he was her best friend, but that was before he ditched her for a different crowd. Before he attacked Innis’s older brother, leaving Skip’s face burned and their town in shock.

“Everything is not what you think.”


Liz always found it hard to believe what they said about Jason, but all of Bonneville thinks he’s dangerous. If word gets out she’s seeing him, she could lose everything. But what if there’s more to that horrible night than she knows? And how many more people will get hurt when the truth finally comes out?

“You’re the one person who believes in me.”

Leah Konen’s southern romance swelters with passion as it explores the devastating crush of lies, the delicate balance of power and perception, and one girl’s journey to find herself while uncovering the secrets of so many others.

Why Am I Excited?

I love Morgan Matson. There is just one more book of hers that I need to read and then I need to read this one. It sounds interesting, and also dogs. I love dogs so any book which includes them is good.

Basically, I’m sucked in by the author name and I have no regrets. I will be picking this up soon because Matson is an author who always writes perfect contemporary reads for summer.

Why Am I Excited?

This is a book which appeals to me for many reasons, but mainly because this contemporary sounds a bit different. I mean, as different as you get in YA contemporary anyway. Also, I’m a sucker for southern romance so there’s that as well.
24218983
Even If The Sky Falls – Mia Garcia
Genre: Contemporary, Romance, Young Adult
Release Date: 10th May 2016
9780373212057_BB.indd
The Problem With Forever – Jennifer L. Armentrout
Genre:Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Release Date: 17th May 2016
All she needs is one night to be anyone she wants.

Julie is desperate for a change. So she heads to New Orleans with her youth group to rebuild houses and pretend her life isn’t a total mess. But between her super-clingy team leader and her way-too-chipper companions, Julie feels more trapped than ever.

In a moment of daring, she ditches her work clothes for DIY fairy wings and heads straight into the heart of Mid-Summer Mardi Gras, where she locks eyes with Miles, an utterly irresistible guy with a complicated story of his own. And for once, Julie isn’t looking back. She jumps at the chance to see the real New Orleans, and in one surreal night, they dance under the stars, share their most shameful secrets, and fall in love.

But their adventure takes an unexpected turn when an oncoming hurricane changes course. As the storm gains power and Julie is pulled back into chaos she finds pretending everything is fine is no longer an option.
For some people, silence is a weapon. For Mallory “Mouse” Dodge, it’s a shield. Growing up, she learned that the best way to survive was to say nothing. And even though it’s been four years since her nightmare ended, she’s beginning to worry that the fear that holds her back will last a lifetime.

Now, after years of homeschooling with loving adoptive parents, Mallory must face a new milestone—spending her senior year at public high school. But of all the terrifying and exhilarating scenarios she’s imagined, there’s one she never dreamed of—that she’d run into Rider Stark, the friend and protector she hasn’t seen since childhood, on her very first day.

It doesn’t take long for Mallory to realise that the connection she shared with Rider never really faded. Yet the deeper their bond grows, the more it becomes apparent that she’s not the only one grappling with the lingering scars from the past. And as she watches Rider’s life spiral out of control, Mallory faces a choice between staying silent and speaking out—for the people she loves, the life she wants, and the truths that need to be heard.

Why Am I Excited?

This is another example of me getting sucked in by a story being set in New Orleans. Hopefully, this one will not be a disappointment. I’m hoping not because the premise of the book is original, and also Mardi Gras. I mean, come on, this book has the makings of something goo.

Why Am I Excited?

Again and again, I tell myself I should stop reading books by Jennifer Armentrout, and I never listen. Saying that, though, I do think this book has the makings of something good. I can’t remember what book I was reading by her, but at the end it had the first chapter of this book in it and I was drawn in from that alone.

I’ve been waiting a while for this book to finally get published and I am hesitantly optimistic I will enjoy it. Fingers crossed anyway.
27155350
The Inside Of Out – Jenn Marie Thorne
Genre: Contemporary, GLBT, Young Adult
Release Date: 31st May 2016
26244548
Wanderlost – Jen Malone
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Release Date: 31st May 2016
Meg Cabot meets Glee in this breezy, hilarious, deceptively smart YA about privilege, pretence, and realising that every story needs a hero. Sometimes it's just not you.


When her best friend Hannah comes out the day before junior year, Daisy is so ready to let her ally flag fly that even a second, way more blindsiding confession can't derail her smiling determination to fight for gay rights.

Before you can spell LGBTQIA, Daisy's leading the charge to end their school’s antiquated ban on same-sex dates at dances—starting with homecoming. And if people assume Daisy herself is gay? Meh, so what. It's all for the cause.

What Daisy doesn't expect is for "the cause” to blow up—starting with Adam, the cute college journalist whose interview with Daisy for his university paper goes viral, catching fire in the national media. #Holy #cats.

With the story spinning out of control, protesters gathering, Hannah left in the dust of Daisy’s good intentions, and Daisy's mad attraction to Adam feeling like an inconvenient truth, Daisy finds herself caught between her bold plans, her bad decisions, and her big fat mouth.
Not all those who wander are lost, but Aubree Sadler most definitely is on this novel’s whirlwind trip through Europe. A romantic and charming YA debut perfect for fans of Stephanie Perkins and Jenny Han.

Aubree can’t think of a better place to be than in perfectly boring Ohio, and she’s ready for a relaxing summer. But when her older sister, Elizabeth, gets into real trouble, Aubree is talked into taking over Elizabeth’s summer job, leading a group of senior citizens on a bus tour through Europe.

Aubree doesn’t even make it to the first stop in Amsterdam before their perfect plan unravels, leaving her with no phone, no carefully prepared binder full of helpful facts, and an unexpected guest: the tour company owner’s son, Sam. Considering she’s pretending to be Elizabeth, she absolutely shouldn’t fall for him, but she can’t help it, especially with the most romantic European cities as the backdrop for their love story.

But her relationship with Sam is threatening to ruin her relationship with her sister, and she feels like she’s letting both of them down. Aubree knows this trip may show her who she really is—she just hopes she likes where she ends up.

Why Am I Excited?

I really enjoyed the debut book from Jenn Marie Thorne, so I am optimistic I will enjoy this book as well. Okay, the premises are completely different and it is mostly my trust in her writing based on her first book which is making me want to read this one, but regardless, this sounds like it could be a really good read if done well and I already know she can write so I’ve got reason to be optimistic about this one.

Why Am I Excited?

This one I want to read almost solely for the summer setting, but also, because it sounds like it could be fun. I mean, a bus tour full of senior citizens? That sounds amazing.

This is very much me looking forward to a cute contemporary read, but there is nothing wrong with being excited about a book like this one.

And there are my most anticipated reads for May. Yes, it is very much filled with contemporary YA, but it’s getting warm outside and that makes me crave contemporary summer reads. It’s the way I roll and I refuse to be judged for getting all seasonal with my reading.

Have I missed off any really good books for May that I should be excited for? What are your most anticipated reads, or do you not look at new releases and prefer to wait and discover books after they’ve been out for a while?
Post Signature
© A Fool's Ingenuity. Design by FCD.