Half Lost // A Fitting Ending To This Trilogy

11 May 2016

4
Half Lost – Sally Green
Published: 31st March 2016
Source: Bought
Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult
My Rating:
Nathan Byrn is running again. The Alliance of Free Witches has been all but destroyed. Scattered and demoralized, constantly pursued by the Council's Hunters, only a bold new strategy can save the rebels from total defeat. They need the missing half of Gabriel's amulet - an ancient artifact with the power to render its bearer invincible in battle.

But the amulet's guardian - the reclusive and awesomely powerful witch Ledger - has her own agenda. To win her trust, Nathan must travel to America and persuade her to give him the amulet. Combined with his own Gifts, the amulet might just be enough turn the tide for the Alliance and end the bloody civil war between Black and White witches once and for all...
After finishing Half Wild I immediately pre-ordered this book because I knew I needed the conclusion to this story. I had no idea what to expect, but I was certain it was going to be good. All I can say is that it was the perfect conclusion to this trilogy.

Let’s begin by saying that Nathan had returned to that unlikable state he began at in the first book. It took time for Nathan to grow on me because he is such a prickly character. From everything he has been through he pushes people away, and in this book he basically blasting those closest to him away as he struggles to come to terms with everything which happened at the end of the last book. He is no longer with those who are fighting against the white witches control and is instead staying distant trying to control the new abilities he has and determined to get his revenge. Gabriel is with him but even he Nathan refuses to talk to. It’s really hard to like Nathan when he insists on being so unlikable. Thankfully, this was a brief period and gradually things get better and you understand Nathan better.

One thing I hated about this book is that so many characters disappear out of the story. One way or another they are written out, and that annoyed me. I understand why it was done and it was done very well, but I always get a bit upset when one of my favourites doesn’t get the page time they deserve. One character who we have throughout (apart from the ever-present shadow of Analisse) is that of Gabriel. I adore him in so many ways and what I really loved is that although he will always always be there for Nathan, he stands up for himself and takes none of Nathan's ridiculousness. Which was good because as I said before, Nathan got plain old mean and awful for a little while.

One thing I will say is that this book ended perfectly. I didn’t expect a happy sunshine and rainbows ending to this book (because that would not have kept in tone with the story at all) so I was really satisfied with the ending we got. It was the most appropriate ending and I really liked it. I was this emotional wreck when it ended but everything about it was perfectly apt.

Has anyone else finished this series? What were your thoughts on the ending? And do you prefer happy endings or do you like your ending to fit the tone of the book?
Post Signature
© A Fool's Ingenuity. Design by FCD.