Bite Sized Books // The Romance And Urban Fantasy Edition

17 May 2016

Bite Sized Books_zpsszuklfto.png
Here are a few short reviews of books I’ve been reading lately. They're all books I’ve liked but haven’t quite had enough to say on. I’d love to hear your thoughts if you’ve read any of them, though, as I’ve not really looked at the reviews properly yet.
12Changing His Game – Megan Erickson
Published: 28th April 2015
Source: Bought
Genre: Romance, Contemporary
My Rating:
He controls the game, but she’s rewriting all the rules…

Marley Lake is no stranger to awkwardness, but getting caught watching a dirty GIF by the company’s hot new IT guy exceeds even her standards. That is, until she realizes he's as turned on by it as she is. But with a big promotion on the line, she refuses to let her current dry spell be her downfall. Maybe.

Austin Rivers has no business lusting after the irresistible editor of Gamers Magazine. He's a secret partner in the business—and technically Marley’s boss. One look at that GIF, though, and he’s ready to install a whole lot more than just software…as long as she never finds out who he really is.

But reality’s not as virtual as it seems, and when Austin’s identity jeopardizes Marley’s promotion, he has to change his game or risk losing the only woman with the cheat code to his heart.
This was a fun read. I was drawn in simply by the fact this included a gif on Tumblr. I mean, this is the kind of story you expect to read on Tumblr! It’s that kind of smutty fiction you would expect from a fanfic and would really enjoy reading and I liked it just as much as I expected.

This is no grand masterpiece but it had the vitals down for any quick romance. The romance was hot and the characters were fun. It was a really interesting books and I liked it. I didn’t enjoy it as much as the next book, but it was still quite fun. It’s a quick romance read which features geeks and that is definitely something I can relate to and invest in.

13
Published: 11th August 2015
Source: Bought
Genre: Romance, Contemporary
My Rating:
A sexy category romance from Entangled's Brazen imprint...

She wanted fantasy. He's about to make it a reality...

Grant Osprey just had the hottest sex of his life. Sure, they were both in costume, and yes, it was anonymous, but he never expected her to bolt in the middle of the night without so much as a good bye, let alone exchanging numbers. Or names. All he's left with are her panties and some seriously X-rated memories...until he meets his business partner's little sister.

Only Chloe Talley isn't the bold, sexy vixen he remembers. And she wants nothing to do with him.

Cosplay is Chloe's only chance to leave her boring, socially awkward world behind. To forget that she's failing at life and can't be with anyone, let alone a single-father like Grant. But the raw hunger between them is undeniable. With him, she can be a misbehaving maid. A sexy call girl for hire. Each scene pushes Chloe beyond her strict boundaries, until Grant demands the one character she can't play.

Herself.
This is the book which made me buy the entire Gamers series and it is all Kaja’s fault. A book where a shy girl goes to a convention sleeps with a guy and then ditches him because she’s got reasons to think she isn’t good enough as herself and so always as to fit herself into a role before she can be with someone. I mean, it’s different, and it was certainly fun to read. Chloe and Grant certainly had chemistry. They were so very hot together and I was cheering for them from the beginning.

I liked Grant in Changing His Game and so I was glad to see him find someone for himself in this book. It was made more interesting by the fact Chloe is Grant’s new business partner’s sister. There was the element of secrecy added to the relationship beyond the fact Chloe just wanted an easy fling and Grant was in a world of denial.

15
Published: 18th June 2013
Source: Bought (Free)
Genre: Paranormal, Urban Fantasy
My Rating:
If you’d asked me a week ago, I would have told you that the best cupcakes were dark chocolate with chocolate cream cheese icing, that dancing in a crowd of magic wielders — the Adept — was better than sex, and that my life was peaceful and uneventful. Just the way I liked it.

That’s what twenty-three years in the magical backwater of Vancouver will get you — a completely skewed sense of reality. Because when the dead werewolves started showing up, it all unraveled … except for the cupcake part. That’s a universal truth.
I got this book for a couple of reasons, the main one being that it was free. The other reason for me even looking at this book was the fact it was featured on a recommended fantasy book list which included Throne of Glass and The Darkest Part of the Forest, both books I loved, so I figured I should check this one out too. This is an urban fantasy read and is fun, but I don’t think it will get included on any favourites lists of mine anytime soon.

This book is great when you consider it was free. It had quite an interesting story, the mystery of the dead werewolves was intriguing and I enjoyed learning more about the magic of Jade (our main character). There were a few surprises in the story along the way which made me intrigued to read more of the series, but in the end, I don’t think I'll bother. The story wasn’t as mysterious as our author may have hoped it was (I guessed the killer within the first few chapters) and I just didn’t find myself falling in love with any one character. I think so many people were introduced and then disappeared for a couple of chapters that you could never properly connect with them, and Jade was just a bit boring in the end. She was so naive, and that was a bit tedious to read.

MoonCalled_B .indd
Published: 4th November 2010
Source: Bought
Genre: Paranormal, Urban Fantasy, Romance
My Rating:
'I didn’t realize he was a werewolf at first. My nose isn’t at its best when surrounded by axle grease and burnt oil . . .'

Mercedes Thompson runs a garage in the Tri-Cities. She’s a mechanic, and a damn good one, who spends her spare time karate training and tinkering with a VW bus that happens to belong to a vampire. Her next-door neighbour is an alpha werewolf - literally, the leader of the pack. And Mercy herself is a shapeshifter, sister to coyotes. As such, she’s tolerated by the 'wolves' but definitely down the pecking order. As long as she keeps her eyes down and remembers her place, the pack will leave her in peace.

Hardly a normal situation, but then, Mercy Thompson is not exactly normal herself. . . and her connection to the world of things that go bump in the night is about to get her into a whole lot of trouble.
I read this book because I got it for 99p, but also because Patricia Briggs and the Mercy Thompson series is basically a must-read for anyone who enjoys urban fantasy and that is a genre which intrigues me but I am not well read in. I’m glad I read and reading this after finishing the above book you can really tell the difference between a good first book in an urban fantasy series and a less than stellar one.

I loved Mercy herself. She is a really intriguing character that annoyed me in a certain way but was mostly just really awesome. I thought the whole shapeshifter coyote thing would annoy me but it actually didn’t. It even made her more interesting because she was different to the werewolves who seemed to have all the skills, she had things to overcome and weaknesses and she dealt with it. I also really liked the characters, even if some did not get enough page time.

The thing that annoyed me about this book was the love triangle. It wasn’t an obvious one, but it definitely seems like it’s going to be a thing which lingers around in the books. There were all these characters that felt a little bit like they were only written in to be a love interest and that is so frustrating. No one wants a character that two-dimensional. You can see they have the potential to be more and I only hope Briggs writes them that way and they aren’t some throwaway character for interest

I can’t wait to read the next books (once I manage to get my hands on it) I think this series has potential.

Do you ever find that you notice more of the faults in a book when you read a good book in the same genre? And have you read any of these books? Tell me thoughts and suggestions of what to read next below.
Post Signature
© A Fool's Ingenuity. Design by FCD.