Walk The Edge // A Perfect Couple Who Are Flawed But Awesome

11 March 2016

5
Published: 29th March 2016
Source: NetGalley (Mira Ink)
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance
My Rating:
Razor knows his family is haunted by secrets of the past…
High school senior Thomas "Razor" Turner knows his family has a dark history as part of the Reign of Terror motorcycle club, especially when it comes to the secrecy surrounding his mother’s death.
 
Razor knows his family is haunted by secrets of the past…
 
High school senior Thomas "Razor" Turner knows his family has a dark history as part of the Reign of Terror motorcycle club, especially when it comes to the secrecy surrounding his mother’s death. When Razor starts to dig deeper into his mum's case he turns to the unlikeliest source for help: classmate Breanna Miller, the shy, smart girl he's never looked twice at. But the more time they spend together, the more they realise they actually have in common, and how attracted to each other they really are. When secrets from the past are revealed can their newfound feelings survive?

I love Katie McGarry’s books and her latest release, Walk The Edge, is no different. I had been hesitant about reading it because I loved the first book in the series, Nowhere But Here, it was a favourite read of 2015 for me. I really liked the introduction to the Thunder Road series, even if I did find myself annoyed with the main character. I even reread it this year and enjoyed it just as much as I did before. so I was very excited (and a little nervous) about reading Walk The Edge. Thank God Katie McGarry always delivers.

Initial Thoughts


When I first finished the book I was a flail-y mess of happy and a little frustrated by the ending. I wanted more, I needed more of the characters and I didn’t get that. My frustration in no way reflects negatively on the book, I really liked the path the story took, I just wasn’t ready to leave it. It was one of those books where you just want a few more chapters, just to tide you over.

I think I loved the books as much as I did because I really connected with the characters. I loved Razor and he’s protective streak. Sure, he may not come across as a fluffy bunny, but he was so sweet. The way he and Breanna interacted was amazing, I just adored them together. The way they spoke to one another, the way they were as couple was so sweet and the ending made me so happy, even if I couldn’t leave them. I recently read that Katie McGarry found their story so easy to write, allowing them to take control as if they were telling their own story. I loved that because it really comes across on the page, nothing about this story felt forced or fake.

I think the highlight of this book for me is that it perfectly described how it can feel to have other’s bullying you for the way you are and then to have them say ‘it’s just a joke’. I hate that phrase, it makes it seem you are being the dramatic one taking things too personally and it’s just not true. I loved that description from Breanna in the book, it was flawless. I just wish I had highlighted it when I saw it. It gives me a perfect chance to read the book again to find it.

It Wasn’t All Good… But It Was Quite Close


Look, no book is perfect. There are some books you are more willing to overlook the flaws with because you enjoyed everything about them, but I don’t like to think a book is truly perfect, you just are more forgiving with some than others. As such, there are a couple of things I was frustrated by. Mainly in the fact you are told and not shown with some personality traits. Take Razor, we’re told how much of a badass he is often, and we get glimpses, but I never completely believed it. He was too much of a cinnamon roll in this book, but they could be attributed to him meeting Breanna. Then there is Breanna and her memory, we are continually told her struggled with it, but we never get to witness her properly struggling. It’s a stupid thing to complain about, but I like to be shown not just told.

Again, the frustrations were minor and passing things. There was a reason for my insanely happy flailing for this book and that is the romance and the whole thing. I am not a fan of secret romances, they never end well, so the fact the couple kept their relationship quiet should have bothered me. It didn’t though. It was done, initially, for very noble reasons that only make sense to teenagers. Did they approach the entire situation in a completely wrong way? Of course they did, their teenagers, how could they not? They were sweet  together, though, even if you wanted to shake them occasionally out of frustration.

In the end, I will continue to be a fan of McGarry’s books for always delivering a good read. They may not always be perfect, but they come pretty damn close. Her characters always feel real and I cannot wait to read the next one. The Thunder Road series is becoming a firm favourite of mine as more books get released.

Do you have an author you love who writes imperfect books you still love anyway? And are you a fan of Katie McGarry’s? I don’t mind, either way, I’m just intrigued.
Post Signature
© A Fool's Ingenuity. Design by FCD.