Reading Challenges and Resolutions: 2016

01 January 2016

I want to actually challenge myself with the reading challenges I pick this year. I felt no pressure to read and complete my challenges last year, and so I want  something which challenges me to read different things, I am terrible for getting stuck in reading ruts otherwise. I won't feel bad if I don't complete them, but I do want  something to help guide me in my reading when I'm confused as what to pick up next.

My Reading Resolutions


  • I want to read at least 100 books: This is my aim for this year’s GoodReads challenge. This year I will avoid upping the number when I reach it. I will just leave it at 100 and see where I get to.
  • I want to read more widely: This is the reason why I am doing the Popsugar reading challenge and it’s something I always think. It’s why I buy so many books which I end up not reading because I am an aspirational book buyer.
  • I want to cut my TBR pile in half: I am a book buying fiend and currently, I have 71 unread books say around my room and 163 books on my kindle (although I know there are books I want to reread included in that number). Basically, I have a lot of books to read and I’m embarrassed by the number. I have stolen Amy’s idea from Pages of Starlight and I am doing a 5 to 1 buying scheme. The place where I fall down most in bok buying bans is I can’t stop buying, by allowing myself to buy 1 for every 5 I read means I will slowly cut down my TBR pile. I’ll let you know how it goes.
  • I want to review more books: This will be an eternal thing for me, I think. I want to keep trying to review more books, too often I end up only reviewing ARCs I’ve received, and that is terrible. I want to focus a bit more on letting you know the books I’ve enjoyed and discovered all by myself.
  • I want to use social media a bit more: I am the worst for using Twitter and Instagram and social media in general. I am secretly a grumpy old woman when it comes to social media, I just don’t know how to use it! I am going to try and get better with it, though. I want to be social… it just isn’t one of those things which comes completely natural to me, though.
  • I want to reread more books: I always get the urge to reread more, but I don't always follow through with that wish. This year I want to reread 30 books, which if I don't do I won't be sad, but we shall see how it goes.

I discovered two very similar reading challenges to attempt in 2016. I couldn't decide which one to do because they seemed quite similar... but then I decided to do them both. What better way to challenge yourself than to do two challenging reading challenges?

Book Riot Read Harder Challenge 2016

This reading challenge has 24 topics with the premise that you will try and complete 2 topics a month. That makes this a much easier challenge for me to attempt. There is also a list of helpful bookish suggestions over at the NY Public Library website and there is a GoodReads group to help as well. I'm excited for the diversity in this challenge and I already have a few ideas for books. The hardest one for me will be the reading out loud to someone because I don't think reading to my dog will count (will it?).


Popsugar Reading Challenge 2016

20e491b890bb19b9_PS15_Love_2016ReadingChallenge_Pin_List
I am planning on trying to achieve reading all the targeted books, although some I will probably struggle with more than others. A book of poetry will be different but achievable, a book with a protagonist who does my job is a little awkward, who knows what I’ll read for the political memoir? I’m not a big fan of the NY Times best seller one or the Oprah book club one because they tend to be books that I don’t enjoy as much… but I will avoid being negative.

I am doing this challenge to encourage me to read more widely. One of my worst bookish traits is that I am not adventurous in what I read. I will print this list and stick it to my wall to try and encourage me to stick to it.

2016 Book Blog Discussion Challenge

2016-Discussion-Challenge
I was doing so well with my discussions at the beginning of the year. I was getting, at least, one discussion a month up, but then I hit a blogging slump and the discussions just fell by the wayside as I tried to catch up with reviews. So, to combat such issues this year I will try and participate in the Discussion Challenge and I want to post at least one discussion a month.

This challenge is hosted by Nicole at Feed Your Addiction and Shannon at It Starts at Midnight and they are trying to encourage everyone to talk more, whatever they feel like talking about. The best part is that they provide monthly link-ups, which are a great way to get your discussions out there, they do tend to be the posts we are most proud of because they are our own thoughts and opinions we’re putting out there into the world.

Have you set yourself challenges and resolutions for 2016, which ones and why? And do you prefer to set easy aims or hard challenges which pressure you to read more?
Post Signature
© A Fool's Ingenuity. Design by FCD.