Ten Finished Series I Have YET to Finish

08 September 2015

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature created and hosted by The Broke and the Bookish and this week’s theme is the ten finished series which I haven’t finished yet. I am the kind of person that likes to read a series when it’s all finished whenever possible, because if I don’t I find myself never finishing it as I wait for each book to get released. I both love and hate series
28249247149279859436

The Black Magician Trilogy – Trudi Canavan

I had been dying to read this series for so long, then I finally bought the first book and I enjoyed it, but it was such an exhausting and detailed read that I felt like I needed a break before I picked up the next book. I bought The Novice for my Kindle and it has been sat there for the past couple of months waiting to be read. I really need to read it, because I’m dying to know exactly what is going to happen next, but Canavan’s books seemed to be filled with quite a bit of detail and intrigue that I cannot say for sure if I will always be ready for them.

The Shattered Sea Series – Joe Abercrombie

This series is another case of me reading the first book and liking it, but with all the crazy political things going on, and the intense introduction to this new world I wanted a break before picking the second book up. The second book has been gathering dust on my shelf for the past year and still I went and bought the third one, even though it will take me a while to get around to the second. My problem is, I hear such good things about books online that I buy them, commit to the whole series, even before I’ve read the first book. I then enjoy them but always feel guilty for committing to series, so break it up by reading something else, forgetting to go back to the series I was reading in the first place.

Something Strange and Deadly – Susan Dennard

I enjoyed the first two books in this series, and then had to wait for the third to be released, trouble is I forgot some of the details of the first two books so I’ve been putting off reading the third whilst I decide whether to reread the first two books, or if I should just read a quick recap of them and then pick up the third. I prefer rereading to recaps, though, but then that is investing a lot of time that I don’t always have to reading books I’ve read once before. I’m a fan of rereading, but sometimes the pressure of all the books I have to review gets to me.
16140838114086501084829413482750

Superlatives Series – Jennifer Echols

My love for Jennifer Echols is well known, I’ve written an Author Addiction post about her after all. I enjoyed the first two books of this series and obviously preordered the third, but then I’ve not gotten around to reading it once arrived on my Kindle. There is no reason for it, I know I’ll enjoy the book when I read it, but I simply have not decided to read it. Isn’t that strange how it happens, this series can be read pretty independently of each book, unlike other book series, so it’s not that I’m concerned about not remembering the story, I think it’s more I don’t want to finish it because then what books will I read by Echols?

Mara Dyer Trilogy – Michelle Hodkin

The only explanation I have for not finishing this series is that I got the first book cheap for my Kindle and enjoyed it (but didn’t love it) and then wasn’t willing to pay the higher price for the second and third book. SO I decided to wait until I saw a cheap deal on them and haven’t seen that yet. I am now thinking I may try and get these books from the library and do a full series read, but who knows with me.

Abandon Trilogy – Meg Cabot

It has never been a secret that I love Meg Cabot and I read this book series not long after it was first released, or I read the first two books not long after they were released, but the third was still awaiting publication. I liked them as much as I like any of Cabot’s books, and I liked them more as they were reminiscent of her Mediator and 1-800-Where-R-You series. I never even noticed the third one get released until I found the trilogy collection available on Kindle. I soon invested and then never picked up, but as I often get urges to reread Cabot’s books, I may commit to rereading this so I can get started on the third book. Her books may be predictable, but they are also fun.

Guards of the Shadowlands – Sarah Fine

I think the only reason I ever read this first book is it was available cheap (or free, I can’t remember which) on Kindle and it sounded vaguely interesting. I loved the first book, and swiftly sought out the second book. It is another case of the third book not being available when it came to finishing the series. I am amazed I haven’t read it yet, though, because I know for a fact that the second book ended on a cliffhanger (as all books in a series should) and remembering dying for the third book to be released.
19549841104598372294528

Seraphina Duology – Rachel Hartman

Can it really count as a series if there are only two books to it? I’m still counting it because I feel bad I’ve not read the second book. I loved Seraphina and was thrilled to find out the next book was due out in a few months of me reading it, but then the dreaded book amnesia set in and there is much I cannot remember about the story! I knew I would need to reread before picking up Shadow Scale and I simply haven’t done it. You may be noticing a theme here, I’m wanting to reread delaying me finishing a series, maybe I should take the hint… but I won’t.

All Souls Trilogy – Deborah Harkness

This is a trilogy I raved about upon finishing the first two books, it was fantastic! I absolutely loved it, so much so I began a reread of the first two books before the third’s release to refresh my memory on some of the finer details of the book. I then got stuck on the second book. I forgot that it was a bit tedious with some of the story feeling a bit slow and dull. I know it picks up later in the book as it builds up to what I’m sure is an amazing finale in the third book, but it still took ages. I then didn’t quite reach the end of the second book and it put me off of the third (stupid, I know) so I’ve not read the third, even thought it’s waiting to be read on my kindle. I think this series partly has the length of each book to blame for me not reading, they are awfully long books filled with so much detail. It completely recreates the whole vampire story, though, so I will finish it eventually.

Howl’s Moving Castle – Diana Wynne Jones

I admit that I adored the first book in the Howl’s Moving Castle series, but was a bit wary of the rest. I’ve heard mixed things about the other books, and this was such fantastic and magical read I hate to ruin it. I know these books are connected but I don’t really know anything about the other two books. I may invest and get reading, but I don’t now when. If you’ve read the other two let me know your thoughts and it may help me want to read them.

And there you have it, I struggled to find ten because I do not count romance series as being true series because they can be read independently of one another. Have you finished any of these series, and if so can you please tell me which one I should attempt to finish first? I’m leaning toward reading Sarah Fine's Guards of the Shadow lands series simply because I’m in the mood for that kind of book after reading Paula Weston’s Rephaim series.
Post Signature
© A Fool's Ingenuity. Design by FCD.