Ten Books Which Make Up My ‘Bedside Table’

19 May 2015

I’m back with a new Top Ten Tuesday, I’ve skipped the past two because they weren’t topics I personally had much to write on, so it seemed right to come back for the freebie week.

I thought long and hard about what to choose as my topic for the week, and decided on doing something a bit different. This is not so much a Top Ten Tuesday, but more just ten books I have. These are the ten books which make up my bed side table. I actually do have an actual bedside table, but all through uni I never had one and so I developed this habit of piling books next to my bed to keep my phone and closes on so they were always close at hand. This is a habit that I brought back from uni with me and has stuck in place ever since. I now just have my actual bedside table as overflow book storage, which is always necessary. I know this sounds like a very strange topic to choose as my freebie theme, but I don’t care.
2015-05-17 17.24.47
If you thought I was lying about that book bedside table, the above image is proof. I’m going to take the time to tell you a little bit about each of my books and why they are piled here.
to all the boys i've loved before
This was removed from my bookshelf last weekend and added to this pile for one reason and one reason only… I need to reread before I begin PS I Still Love You. I’ve had email confirmation that my preorder of that book has been dispatched so at some point this week I am going to reread this. I enjoyed reading it last year and I need to refresh my memory of it.

how to be a heroine
I’m going to be honest, I started reading this book about a month ago, I’m a few chapters in and I’ve loved what I’ve read, but then it went on the pile and promptly got neglected as other newer fiction books came along. I am not the best at reading non-fiction works, for whatever reason I struggle reading them. I don’t know if it’s that they’re educational so sometimes I have flashbacks to uni or what, but there you go. It’s such a good read, I genuinely have loved every chapter I’ve read, they have just been so interesting these studies of books with the authors own life commentary. I would highly recommend it, now if only I could finish it.
the thousand dollar tan line
I’ve still not read this book! The film came out forever ago now, and I’ve still not read thsi book! I’m a little embarrassed about it now. I’ve refused to buy the second book simply because I haven’t even started this one. I love Veronica Mars, I’ve thrust the TV series upon everyone I know, yet this book is neglected for no justifiable reason. I think I’m scared I won’t enjoy it, and I can think of nothing worse.
how to build a girl
I impulse bought this at Tesco back when it first came out. I love Caitlin Moran’s Book, How To Be a Woman, it was such a good book, so when she wrote a YA novel I knew I wanted to read it. It’s just I intended to wait for a paperback copy to do so. That didn’t happen, though. Instead I’ve impulse bought it and left it to gather dust because I saw a couple of less than stellar things said about it.
emma
I own both the other books which are part of The Jane Austen Project. They are all modern rewrites of the Austen classic, with a Pride and Prejudice rewrite due out next year, I think. I bought Emma after I discovered it had been released, I knew nothing about it’s release, so I ordered it on Amazon on impulse one night. I’ve read the first chapter then found another book to read (that is a common occurrence which says nothing about the book and everything about what mood I was in when reading). I normally take ages to read a book, and this is a more recent addition to the pile anyway, so I know I will read it when I’m ready.
the soundtrack to my life
I like Dermot O’Leary, he was always a highlight of X Factor for me because he’s just quite funny, without being mocking, something best avoided with a talent show host. I saw his book in Tesco (yes, I shop at Tesco too much, I know) and this book caught my eye, I didn’t buy it immediately though. I saw it for several weeks on the shelves, picked it up from time to time and contemplated it, but didn’t buy it until nearly two months after I first saw it. I like the idea of him writing a book based around songs which represented different times in his life. I love music and firmly believe songs can bring up certain memories, so it’s a concept I liked it. I finally decided to take the plunge and commit to buying, but now I’ve not started reading. I know this is a book which may lurk for months before I read simply for the fact it is a biography.
landline
I was as excited as everyone else when Rainbow Rowell decided to bring out another adult read, I preordered my copy, impatiently waited for the release day and was excited to start. Then it arrived in the post. I was bust reading other things at the time, so it got put to one side to read later. The later never came. I’m now much less excited for this book, intrigued, but not enthused. And so it will gather dust until I find myself randomly picking it up one day.
the glass sentence
This one is a book I bought off of Amazon for no other reason than Kelley over at Oh The Books mentioned it once, and I decided to buy it. I was so excited when it arrived in the post. I marvelled at the maps. I loved the rough cur pages. Everything about this book thrilled me. But I’ve still not managed to get past the first couple of chapters. I think my main issue is I’ve never been in the mood for this book. I want to love it, but I’ve not managed to commit to reading. It’s always been a second book I’ve attempted to read alongside something else, and that is always asking for trouble.
half the world
I’m gonna be honest, I bought this without having the first book, but I knew I wanted to read the first book, so I figured an impulse buy from Tesco (seriously, Tesco sell a lot of books at hard to refused prices) was acceptable. I now own the first book, but I haven’t been in much of a fantasy novel mood, so haven’t read either. It will happen… probably within the next year… or two. They will be read, though.
the queen of the tearling
This is the final impulse buy from Tesco (seriously, I am in no way to blame for their losses in the past year, I should logically kept them funded through my impulse book purchases alone, don’t even get me started on the other things I end up buying on my weekly shop) and it was bought because I’d been seeing this on everyone’s blog and wanted to know what all the fuss was about. I still don’t know what all the fuss is about because I still haven’t haven’t cracked open the cover on this one. I’ve owned it a year! I don’t know what is wrong with me sometimes.

And that is my bookish bedside table. These are all books I’m embarrassed I haven’t read and my theory is always keep the books I plan to read close at hand. Do any of you do anything similar? If you do let me know because I will feel like less of a weirdo.
Post Signature
© A Fool's Ingenuity. Design by FCD.