Top Ten Favourite Classic Books

30 June 2014


It’s that time of the week again, time for me to get thinking for The Broke and The Bookish’s weekly theme which this week is my favourite classic books. I have split my classics in to two categories, like ‘classic’ classics and modern classics. I thought about doing it so that I list only YA books or pick a couple of ‘classics’ from my favourite genres, but I don’t really know what is deemed a classic for a genre so instead I decided to go with normal classics and then pick a few books that I reckon can be deemed modern classics, and there won’t really even be a YA book in sight.

My Top Five Favourite Classics

1885402032251688264729347018
1. Pride and Prejudice – Jane Austen  I know I’m not original with this choice, but I also don’t care. I love this book, as so many do, and for good reason. I wanted to read this book back when I was about twelve, I can’t remember why, I’m sure someone I admired liked it or something, so I wanted to read it and be cool like them. Thank God for my nan indulging me in my passion for books. She bought a copy for me and rented the BBC adaptation of the book once I’d finished. It must have been in the school holidays because I spent an entire day just watching it with her. It was such a lovely day. As such, this is one of my favourite books for the excellent story and simply because it was an amazing book.
2. The Secret Garden – Frances Hodgsen Burnett  This I read because it was one of my best friends favourite books, I wanted to know what the fuss was about. I didn’t read it until I was eighteen and at university though. By that point I was no longer friends with that girl, but after I finished I understood the appeal. As a child when I attempted to read it I found the main character so annoying I could not bear to read the book, now I know more about reading and accept that character development is a thing that can happen I fully embrace how lovely this story is.
3. Breakfast At Tiffany’s – Truman Capote  Another book my nan bought for me. I can remember going to Waterstones with her and there was an offer on on some classics and I browsed the table and she bought three classics for me, this is the only one of them I ever read. I still own them all though. I really enjoyed this book and the other stories that came along with me. I probably did not get it all, I read it expecting the film all over again. It such a good book, though, and nothing like I expected which made me enjoy it more.
4. Alice in Wonderland – Lewis Carroll  I have never seen the Disney film of this, and for that I am glad. I read this the summer between college and university. It was so good, I know it’s a children’s book, but I do not think I would have enjoyed it in the same way if I were younger. Now you are going to sense a theme, but this is another book my nan bought for me. I think my nan bought me all of these books thinking about it. Except King Lear, I borrowed that from college, had to give it back when I finished my A-Levels. I kind of wish I still had it.
5. King Lear – William Shakespeare  It may seem strange including a Shakespeare play in my list, but I really enjoyed this play. We studied it as part of my English A Level. Everyone bitched and moaned about doing Shakespeare, and I kind of agreed, we had studied Macbeth at school and I hated it. King Lear became such a good story though. The language was daunting, but as we were reading it as a group and analysing the scenes it helped me figure out what was happening. Once I learnt the story then this epic tragic play was a revelation to me. I won’t reveal the story, but seriously, this play is free online, go read it.

My Top Five Favourite Modern Classics

6620599404361618177511870085
6. Harry Potter – JK Rowling  This one should be obvious to everyone. This series made my childhood. It made my adulthood even. These books will live in for as long as possible I hope. There really aren’t words to describe how much I adore this series, but all fans will understand I think.
7. The Silver Linings Playbook – Matthew Quick  I read this book after seeing the film trailer. I read it before the film came out and adored this book. I read it in one sitting. I wasn’t sure when I first started, it was a bit difficult to get into, but once you did it was amazing. The way the characters were developed and how you became completely absorbed is amazing. I hope this becomes a modern classic, I would certainly recommend it to people.
8. The Five People You Meet In Heaven – Mitch Albom  It took me a couple of attempts to read this book and it took me a while to really get into it. At first I was reading it because I bought it and it looked short, and I felt obligated. Once the story developed I knew this book was something special. I had a friend who absolutely could not finish it, she said it felt liked the author was trying too hard. That may be so, but the story itself is so unique. It makes you think how people can affect your life. It’s definitely a book which makes you think.
9. The Rosie Project – Graeme Simsion  If you haven’t heard about how much I loved this book then you should go read my review. This book will become a classic I am sure. It was such a great book, unique characters and a strangely intriguing story. Go, read it now.
10. The Fault In Our Stars – John Green  I am sure we all know this is a modern classic. This book broke my hart and made me so freaking happy. I don’t know if I can fully explain my emotions about this book. A While back a bought a copy of this book (I own it on my kindle, but I like having a physical copy too) and I went gave it away as a gift last week, because I feel like I need to inflict this book upon everyone I know. If you haven’t read it due to the hype then ignore all that, go read it simply because it is such a touching story you’ll regret waiting.

Anyone got any classic book recommendations? I am terrible with reading true classics, I want to read them, I simply have no motivation.
Post Signature
© A Fool's Ingenuity. Design by FCD.